incubator-general mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Joining IPMC member
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:07:31 GMT
Hi Edward,

As you might know, generally speaking for PMC's merit is not transferable. But IPMC has one
exception any member of the foundation can simply ask to be added (it still goes through the
normal workflow of board acknowledgement and such, but without a formal IPMC voting). If the
requester is not a member, IPMC also has to discuss and vote based on contributions, interest
to help out just like any other PMC. Such requests to join should go to the private list.
See [1]  "Mentors MUST be on the IPMC. Any prospective Mentors who are not yet on the IPMC
should ask to be added (by election). Email the application to private@incubator.apache.org.
This process may take a few days."

I can see the source of your confusion both for asking on the general list and also interpreting
an officer can be a champion. Its a misunderstanding, no worries. Your enthusiasm to help
MRQL is certainly appreciated and once we have a IPMC member volunteer to champion the podling,
everything should be back on track. I do not think MRQL will be hampered, just a delay. Its
parked on the runway waiting to take off soon. Meanwhile sit back relax and have fun hacking.

Suresh

[1] - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html

On Mar 15, 2013, at 12:51 AM, Edward J. Yoon <edwardyoon@apache.org> wrote:

> The reason of opening here is that I see mails like "Request to join
> IPMC"[1]. Moreover I already sent a mail to private@ at Feb 27.
>
> 1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201202.mbox/%3C87945F79-C905-4CDF-AF5B-D7A9B54F3F69@gmail.com%3E

>>> P.S., It's been 6 years since I uploaded my first patch on HBase. I
>>> still don't know many things but I'm continuously learning from you
>>> guys ;-)
>>
>> Hi Edward,
>>
>> I do not think any one is questioning your credibility as a committer, or pmc member.
I think Marvin hit it right and straight forward way. At ASF one of the few things (and primarily
the only thing) like adding to a PMC is handled on private lists. Given that you have been
contributing since 6 years you are certainly expected to know it. It is not healthy to side
track the issue with your contributions or citing emotional reasons.