incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Vote on personal matters: majority vote vs consensus
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:35:22 GMT
On 25/03/13 08:41, ant elder wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Now, you might argue that mentoring is a lot more than voting, but we
>> could create another bottleneck in getting release votes through,
>> requiring votes from incubator PMC members who are not particularly
>> focused on the podling.
>>

> Thats exactly what i would argue, mentoring is a lot more than voting
> on releases. Many (most?) poddlings don't get three mentor votes on
> releases anyway and have to come to general@ so changing to have
> non-PMC mentors isn't going to make that worse than it already is.
>
>     ...ant

I agree mentoring is a lot more than voting.

One point though (not suggesting new process) - there is some value in
coming to general@ at least once in the podlings incubation. It brings
in a wider perspective and understanding because small-N mentors on a
podling may not themselves have a complete awareness of everything.

	Andy