incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: No more existing-TLP graduations (was: [PROPOSAL] Curator for the Apache Incubator)
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:17:16 GMT
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...I'd like to suggest two changes:
>>
>> 1) Incubation is for new TLPs only. Turn off the "graduate-into-TLP" option.
>>
>> 2) Move the "short form" IP clearance to Legal Affairs, to clarify that
>> we're only talking IP, rather than other concerns....
>
> +1 to both, assuming Legal Affairs accepts 2)

Guys, this was my point a few weeks ago, and the question I posed to
the board. Did the board discuss it at the meeting, or is that part of
the board meeting happening here?

I think that there are several hairs worth splitting here.

1. Merging into a TLP is a possible outcome for a podling, even when
the initial intention is to graduate independently. Even if we
eliminate this as a starting intention, we should clarify how we
expect this to happen. My prior email suggested a very low-overhead
view of such events.

2. If an existing TLP wants to incorporate an existing non-Apache
community, the incubator _might_ might serve a useful role. Or, not.
I'm also perfectly happy to tell that TLP to make a branch and grant
some commit access and vote status as appropriate as things proceed,
which is how I'd restate your views.

3. We do have a group of people with some minimal, observed,
willingness to pay some attention to IP clearance. Legal affairs,
well, is more of a talking-shop. So I'd expect Sam to want some
helpers before he'd accept this.