incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] HCatalog to Graduate and become part of Apache Hive
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:31:59 GMT
I'm brought to this thread byt he board report but my response here is as
an IPMC member. My comment on the board report is quite different, it is
"I've read the thread on general@ and feel that the IPMC should make a
clear recommendation to the board in this and similar cases. The IPMC
discussion seems to be healthy and productive."

So, as a an IPMC member I have a few open questions [inline]...

On 11 February 2013 18:20, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:

Also, it has been agreed that each HCatalog committer will be provided with
> a mentor from the Hive community to help him/her learn the rest of Hive,
> with the goal of becoming a committer on Hive within six months.  The
> submodule state is transitionary, not an end point.

Why was this"mentoring" not done as part of the incubation process since
building the right community structure for graduation (along with IP
clearance) is the main role of the incubation process? Was Hive the
sponsoring project for this proposal? If not why not?

I ask these questions because HCatlog is making a very strong case that any
other option for graduation is not appropriate. At the same time we are
being told by the Hive PMC that the mentoring of the committers is
incomplete since they have insufficient merit within Hive to be trusted to
be full members of that project.

it also concerns me that in this same month the IPMC board report says "The
main concern of the incubator continues to be the quality and reliability
of supervision... The supply of mentoring seems, still, to exceed demand."

Why is it that the Hive PMC feels it is able to provide "mentoring" within
their own PMC through the creation of what some people see as
an umbrella project, but not here in the IPMC?

Finally, why can't I find the HCatalog proposal in my mail client, markmail
or the wiki (not had coffee yet, feel free to call me [insert adjective])

Ross