incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Knox Hadoop Gateway Project
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:13:25 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Kevin Minder
<kevin.minder@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> ...Our sponsor reached out to Chris Douglas (Microsoft) and Chris Mattmann
> (NASA) and they have agreed to be mentors.  I have updated the proposal wiki
> <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/knox> to reflect that....

Cool, that addresses my concern of having all mentors with the same affiliation.

> I'm very encouraged with the level of support we are getting for this
> project.  However given all the offers, how much is enough vs. too much?...

In terms of number of mentors?

IMO having six of them, although unusual, is not bad, but it's good to
designate one of them as the champion as per [1], including keeping an
eye on things once the project gets going, as would a PMC chair do.
This helps avoid things falling through the cracks, as each mentor
might think others will do the work ;-)

-Bertrand

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion
see "during incubation"