incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] HCatalog to Graduate and become part of Apache Hive
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:52:34 GMT
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
> wrote:

> Hi,
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 6:03 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <> wrote:
> > ...I'm -1 on this graduation...
> -1 from me as well, I agree with Chris' points.
Yes these were good points however I don't think the HCatalog community has
enough critical mass for a TLP at this point in time. I think this and the
overwhelming dependencies on Hive made the community favor merging under
the Hive TLP. I can understand both points of view coming from Chris and
from Alan.

> This looks either like an umbrella project (which we don't want
> anymore) or a PMC not trusting its committers.
> IMO the options are either graduating Hive as a TLP (assuming the

Bertrand I am presuming you meant HCatalog as a TLP here ...

> podling is in good standing for that to happen), or having Hive adopt
> the HCatalog code *and its committers*.
It is unfortunate that the Hive TLP does not trust the HCatalog community
enough to merge the two. However if we're looking at a new TLP for HCatalog
I think we're going to have to continue trying to build community a bit

Best Regards,
-- Alex