incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Thoughts about formalizing the role of shepherd
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:55:18 GMT

On Jan 14, 2013, at 12:33 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem I'm looking at is indeed the chronic lack of reliable
>> mentor presence in the projects, as witnessed (maybe) by the signoff
>> statistics in January.
>
> With shepherds you might spot problems and bring them to the table.
> But it does not fix the problem of mentors going awol, putting more
> mentor energy into a project. I mean, we have often releases on
> general@ which have trouble to get necessary votes.
>
> I believe "Shepherds" are good as they are now, but I do not see a
> reason for making them more formal or make up rules for them.

I agree. Benson should assure that Shepherds get a new assignment every time. If I were assigned
the same podlings every quarterly report then that would get to be boring.

If a shepherd sees a mentor problem in a podling that they are suddenly interested in then
they may choose to volunteer.

>> There's 'tear down the incubator' -- decide that the chronic leakage
>> of mentors means that the whole system we have is not working. I
>> can't, personally, state an alternative.
>
> You need people who think of the Incubator as they would think on the
> others project they commit. Committed people.
> If the system is tied to committed people and they are none, we have a problem.
>
> I have learned that by Jukkas passion and commitment.
>
> If we would find a way to motivate people to spend some time here, we
> won. The question we need to ask: what is preventing people from
> investing their valuable spare time into the incubator?

On the Incubator report perhaps there could be a section called:

Mentoring issues / turnover:
	- Needs additional mentor(s): Tashi
	- Recent mentoring turnover: Chukwa

I think focus there might help IPMC members consider where to place their commitment.

Regards,
Dave