incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts about formalizing the role of shepherd
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:33:18 GMT
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem I'm looking at is indeed the chronic lack of reliable
> mentor presence in the projects, as witnessed (maybe) by the signoff
> statistics in January.

With shepherds you might spot problems and bring them to the table.
But it does not fix the problem of mentors going awol, putting more
mentor energy into a project. I mean, we have often releases on
general@ which have trouble to get necessary votes.

I believe "Shepherds" are good as they are now, but I do not see a
reason for making them more formal or make up rules for them.

> There's 'tear down the incubator' -- decide that the chronic leakage
> of mentors means that the whole system we have is not working. I
> can't, personally, state an alternative.

You need people who think of the Incubator as they would think on the
others project they commit. Committed people.
If the system is tied to committed people and they are none, we have a problem.

I have learned that by Jukkas passion and commitment.

If we would find a way to motivate people to spend some time here, we
won. The question we need to ask: what is preventing people from
investing their valuable spare time into the incubator?

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de