incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache cTAKES 3.0.0-incubating RC4 release
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 14:58:35 GMT
On 9 January 2013 13:13, Chen, Pei <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>> In (almost) all other podlings it is at the top of the SVN tree.
>> IMO it should be present alongside NOTICE and LICENSE so it is obvious to
>> people browsing SVN.
> Thanks for the input.  I already made this change in SVN trunk so it'll automatically
be picked up in future release.  And also updated the 2013 copyright.
> Since, maven puts it in correct place in the artifacts during packaging, I presume this
won't be a show stopper for the release?

The location of the DISCLAIMER in the tar file looks fine.
Minor issue - the text is all on one line. This makes it quite hard to
read; please fix this for the next release.

However, I have now had a look at the embedded NOTICE file.
This is very long - it contains lots of unnecessary notices.

For example, there is no need to credit OpenNLP or UIMA as these are
covered under the second paragaph.

The NOTICE file must only be used for *required* notices (whereas the
LICENSE file must contain copies of all licences).
Furthermore, the N&L files should only contain entries which relate to
software that is actually included in the archive.
The NOTICE file should be as short as possible (but no shorter).

AFAICT the archive does not include JUnit; there may be other
"missing" references.

The NOTICE file must only contain *required* notices for the enclosing
archive - if the archive does not contain JUnit then the NOTICE file
does not require any attribution. Even software that is included may
not require an entry in the NOTICE file if the license does not
specifically require it.

The N&L files are a vital part of ASF releases, so I think this should
be fixed please.