incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Citing documentation when critiquing podlings
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 02:09:55 GMT
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Christian Grobmeier
<grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at this:
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
>
> ...it makes me headache.

I made a bit of headway revising releasemanagement.html a few months back, but
got stuck eventually.

Ideally, that page would not exist, as all of its content would be rolled into
the www.apache.org/dev material on releasing.  However, I've found myself
reluctant to touch the dev release documentation because it's been polished
over several years and though the organization sometimes seems haphazard, some
of the line-by-line material has been carefully crafted and I don't want to
mess it up.

It's weird that our top-level dev release documentation is an FAQ.  It seems
like there ought to be a policy document at the top, akin to
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html and frozen in
time, wich would provide a step-by-step guide containing all the mandatory
steps (and ONLY the mandatory steps), then point at various project release
recipes as sample implementations.

Marvin Humphrey