incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Expressing priorities about release reviews
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2013 22:59:54 GMT
The way I look at release reviews is that releases are the things that
expose the Apache Foundation to the greatest legal risk, so it's
critical that podlings learn to get them right. If they (podlings)
don't get releases right in the incubator, what chance is there that
they will succeed as a PMC?

Technical review can only be done by folks who are knowledgeable about
the code base. These are the committers on the project. Process review
can be done by mentors. Ideally, license and notice reviews should be
done first by mentors. But I don't expect that mentors will
necessarily know as much as people in IPMC (and other volunteer
release reviewers) about the legal requirements for release.

 From my perspective, even though it is at times painful, the release
process works well. Everyone in the incubator contributes what they
can to make sure that podlings learn how to release, and how important
it is to release clean code. Even if the code doesn't work, the
process does.

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle