incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sergio Fernández <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Expressing priorities about release reviews
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:22:24 GMT

personally I appreciate such policies checking from the IPMC members.
The technical quality of a release is responsibility of the project
itself, which could be hard to be evaluated by people working on other
topics. Therefore, all additional checkpoints are useful and grateful.

On 12/01/13 18:07, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> One of my long time pet peeves with how we
> PMC members participate in vetting releases
> is our penchant for focusing too much on the
> policies surrounding license and notice info.
> I really think our exclusive focus on things
> that really don't pose any organizational risk
> to either the org nor the project participants
> serves us well in our other, often unexpressed
> but far more relevant, goals about encouraging
> committers to participate in active review of
> their project's commit activity.
> Just think about this for a second, what's more
> likely for people to start suing us over, some
> bug in the NOTICE file or an undetected backdoor
> in one of our programs?  I am personally far more
> concerned about the current state of the actual
> review going on in our podlings than I am about
> NOTICE minutia.
> Maybe we should compile some list of which committers
> are actually subscribed to their project's commit lists?
> It's crude but it may be useful data to look at to
> a first order.

Sergio Fernández
Salzburg Research
+43 662 2288 318