incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Stroucken <mxs+apa...@cmu.edu>
Subject Re: Tashi report for January 2013
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:07:32 GMT
On 10.01.13 11:11, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Tashi report is missing. There doesn't appear to be any activity
> in the project. The last activity was around the previous incubator
> report.
>
> Anyone around here?
Hi Craig,

I just got back from a two week trip. I think Richard may have written a
report in my absence.

But I feel that the project should be retired. The current state of the
project provides something that works, but other projects in this field
have more mindshare, and their code update and bug fix rate is much higher.

I don't think association with Apache will provide much mutual future
benefit. Three years ago, when Tashi began incubation, Tashi was one of
the first projects to address the sharing of computing power, and was
indeed groundbreaking. But the project received only negligible
promotion from one of the groups initially sponsoring it, and other
endeavours quickly gained features and mindshare. Tashi still has
several advantages over them, but I as main contributor over the last
year have moved on to other primary challenges, and feel that hosting on
Sourceforge or Github would be more useful for a slow-moving project.
Receiving fixes, gaining regular contributors and making releases should
also be easier to effect outside of Apache.

Greetings,
Michael.