incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: DOAP
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 01:28:58 GMT
DOAP files are required for all TLPs, per the Branding policy:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

DOAP files are used to autogenerate the projects listing site:

   http://projects.apache.org/indexes.html

DOAP files are the best way we have currently to ensure we have a
single, simple and machine-parseable list of all software projects
available at the ASF.  We currently under-utilize this: it would be nice
if projects had more detailed DOAPs that we could entice people to
create interesting visualizations of all Apache projects.  It should
also be linked to more, so that newcomers to the ASF have an easier way
to find all the different software technologies that Apache projects
have to offer to the world.

 From the brand perspective, DOAPs are required so the ASF can track all
formal TLP projects and major software products that our projects ship
(among other reasons, so we can one day auto-generate our list of
trademarks).  DOAPs should also have sufficient information about
software downloads available so that if someone does write a crawler to
inspect software products, they'll get useful information.

It would be nice if projects kept DOAPs up to date with all new
releases, etc., but I personally don't have the effort available in the
near future to push on that area.  What's more important is ensuring all
TLPs have at least a basic DOAP that's checked in and reflected at
projects.a.o

We really need to explain this more clearly in the incubator docs, and
make it clear that having a DOAP checked in is part of the branding
checklist that is required to complete before graduation.  I.e., we
should ensure that podlings meet the Project Branding Requirements
before they go to graduate.

- Shane