incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: Formats of SHA/MD5 checksums
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:08:33 GMT
On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 03:05:15 +0100
> From: Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org>
> To: general@incubator.apache.org, infrastructure@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Formats of SHA/MD5 checksums
> Sender: shaposhnik@gmail.com

>>> Ditto. It's particularly awkward when the hash is wrapped over several lines.
>>>
>>> I ended up writing a Perl script to handle all the variations.

>>> +1
>>
>> Question: how do we go about discouraging it then? Do we need a vote
>> to modify the content of:
>>    http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing#md5

   I assume 'it' is md5 cheksum files generated with

     gpg --print-md MD5 [fileName] > [fileName].md5

   I am +1 on suggesting (on that page) a 'normal' form for
   the content of a .md5 file.

   I am definitedly -1 on removing the gpg line above, or
   suggesting that only one form of .md5 files is allowed.

   The reason given "I ended up writing a Perl script" doesn't
   make sense ; .md5 files come in many forms but the algorithm
   to verify is the same for all of them (there are no 'variations.') :

     verify (checksum md5, .md5-file fff) :
       -- tmp = lowercase cat fff
       -- md5 = lowercase cat md5
       -- squeeze non-hex ([^a-f0-9]) out of tmp (and md5)
       -- match md5 ~ tmp

   HPP