incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject PPMC versus commiter
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:43:19 GMT
A recent vote thread on the private list led Christian Grobmeier to
wonder why a podling was simultaneously proposing someone for PPMC and
committer status.

A few bits of background:

1. TLP's vary in their behavior in this regard. Some maintain a
committer!=PMC distinction, and some do not.

2. Historically, podlings have *not* maintained this distinction, but
have waited for graduation to sort  out the initial PMC members.

3. Legally/organizationally, since PPMC members don't have binding
votes, there's not much practical effect of making a distinction. At
the end of the day, only Incubator PMC members have binding votes.

4. Christian pointed out that the Open Office podling found the
process of sorting out the PMC/committer distinction to be painful.

With all respect, I don't see the OO podling as typical. It's sheer
size put it in a different category, and I for one do not feel
inclined to tell podlings to start keeping PPMC and committer distinct
on the basis of that history.