incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do all releases need to go to /dist?
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:12:58 GMT
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Marcel Offermans
<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2012, at 13:52 , Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Martijn Dashorst
>> <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>>
>> While I agree that the page has a lot to say about putting releases on
>> /dist, I could not find any point in which it said, in so many words,
>> that /dist was required. I do, however, see how people would take that
>> implication.
>
> It does state that all releases must be archived on http://archive.apache.org/dist/ so
I think that more or less implies that all releases must be put on /dist.

> I just feel that as soon as we start making exceptions, we will end up with many, and
I really don't understand why this exception is necessary in the first place. In fact, I think
it's a great benefit that all releases can be found in one single location, no exceptions.

>> So, I edited it to say the opposite for this case. I'm not pushing the
>> publish button; rather, I've started a thread on infra@ (which seems
>> to supervise this content) inviting people to tell me that I am wrong.
>> If I am still wearing my head tonight on the subject, I'll push the
>> publish button.
>
> I objected there as well, to me this is a big policy change, and one that I don't understand
the reason of.

I think one thread of debate on this is enough, so I won't reply further here.