incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Advice on inviting Apache insight to NSF SI2 meeting?
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 16:12:22 GMT
I am certainly close, if they think I'd be a suitable person.

On Dec 1, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:

> Anyone able to help the NSF out at a meeting in DC in Jan?
>
> See below for more info.
>
> On a personal note I've noticed an increased, and genuine, interest in how to improve
the impact of publicly funded research outputs from the NSF in the last couple of years. We
are even seeing important components turning up in the Incubator. I hope we can send someone
able to help them understand how we do things around here. It's your (US) tax dollars going
into this work.

> I'd normally do this myself but I have a clash on these dates.
>
> Let me know privately if you are interested and I'll help you/them figure out who the
best fit is.

> Ross
>
> Sent from my tablet

by the SI2 funding program at the NSF (SI2, or SI^2, is the main Scientific Software funding
program at the moment).

> The panel is going to focus on Software Impact, and I'd like to have someone who can
inject an understanding of the importance of community, including Incubator considerations
such as non-salaried developers etc.  We're also considering adopting the DOAP way of describing
the projects and their infrastructure as a way of helping projects and the program overall
catalogue their activities.

> The meeting is in DC in January Jan 17 and half-day 18th.  Does anyone from Apache come
to mind (including yourself) that would be relevant either with experience in Incubation,
or from the DOAP/catalogue.  Do you think your experience with SIMAL would be relevant here,
might you be interested?