incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: PPMC versus commiter
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:44:58 GMT
On 12/19/12 11:40 , Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> ...Making someone a C without PPMC gives them the power to evolve the code,
>> but not to help make decisions about how can maintain it, or when to
>> release it. Something about that, I just don't find right....
> As I said, in general I agree, but as a temporary situation that might
> allow a project to elect someone as a committer early, while taking a
> bit more time before granting them PMC power.

Agreed.

Considering we've given people commit access to create documentation or
examples, I think you shouldn't assume that C == "evolve the code".

I think we're better off only implementing "one size fits all" rules
when absolutely necessary. I don't think this is one of those situations.

-> richard