incubator-general mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Invoke silent consensus rule for podling releases
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2012 14:50:54 GMT
On 01.12.2012 15:06, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:
>> It's quite frustrating that people find time to write hundreds of mails
>> about points of procedure, but can't take time to review a release
>> tarball from a podling.
> Reviewing a release when you are not directly involved as a developer is
> **really hard**.
>
> As an IPMC member yourself, have you ever reviewed a release for podling you
> were not involved with?

Yes. In fact, I spent time reviewing AOO incubator releases. Don't
recall if I actually voted on one; probably not, since there were so
many other active IPMC members all over that.

> I hereby propose we extend the silent consensus rule to podling
> release votes.
> -1
>
> That's at odds with basic, ASF-wide rules for voting on releases.

I know; but it got everyone's attention, didn't it. :)

What I'd more seriously like to propose is that we come up with a tool
that slurps the general@ archives and pings the list once a week with a
reminder about outstanding votes. I'll happily invest my copious free
time towards that, if the IPMC agrees such a tool would be useful.

-- Brane