incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html is out of date?
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 07:03:00 GMT
Benson Margulies wrote:
> The doc for updating the Incubator web site seems to be inconsistent
> with the situation at hand.

Yeah, a few of us have added bits and pieces to try to keep up,
but yes it needs improvement. A lot of the information is still
relevant, but the whole page needs a re-focus.

> It looks as if the CMS is wired up, and so running 'ant' no longer
> actually generates HTML.

Behind-the-scenes it still does. I gather that it is triggered by the CMS.

Also if there is a problem (e.g. an xml error) then 'ant' can be
run on a local checkout to find and fix it.

Also there has been an occasional need to look at the generated
docs locally.

> However, that leaves me somewhat uncertain as to how to proceed to
> publish a change.

There are a number of ways.

I use a local checkout and make my edits to content/* then commit.
Follow-up by going to
https://cms.apache.org/incubator/publish
after the buildbot has re-generated it, then commit via that.

Others would use the CMS interface completely.

> Could someone please update this page to explain how to update this page?

Yes please.

-David