incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Marmotta into the incubator
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:32:50 GMT
+1 (binding).

Cheers,
Chris

On Nov 29, 2012, at 3:28 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Following the discussion thread, here is the formal vote on the Marmotta proposal:
>
> Please cast your votes on whether to accept the Apache Marmotta proposal:
>
> [ ] +1 Accept Marmotta into the Apache Incubator
> [ ] +0 Indifferent to the acceptance of Marmotta
> [ ] -1 Do not accept the Marmotta proposal because ...
>
> The vote will be open until at least 23:59 Sunday 2nd December UTC
> (which is three full days from midnight tonight)
>
> 	Andy
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MarmottaProposal
>
> -----------------------
>
> == Abstract
>
> Marmotta is a Linked Data platform for industry-strength installations.
>
> == Proposal
>
> The goal of Apache Marmotta is to provide an open implementation of a Linked Data Platform
that can be used, extended, and deployed easily by organizations who want to publish Linked
Data or build custom applications on Linked Data.

> The phrase "Linked Data" is used here idiosyncratically to refer to a data integration
paradigm across the Web. The term was coined by Tim Berners-Lee in 2006, and it is based on
four very simple principles which basically describe recommended best practices for exposing,
sharing, and connecting pieces of data, information, and knowledge on the Semantic Web using
URIs and the RDF technology stack. Therefore Linked Data is about using the Web to connect
related data that wasn't previously linked, or using the Web to lower the barriers to linking
data currently linked using other methods.

> Marmotta will follow the core recommendations of the W3C on RDF, SPARQL and Linked Data
publishing, particularly the emerging Linked Data Platform (LDP) recommendation. It will also
offer extensions for frequently needed additional functionalities like Linked Data Querying,
WebID, WebACL, Reasoning, and Versioning. Marmotta aims to cover both, Linked Open Data, as
well as Enterprise Linked Data scenarios, providing facilities to deal with different data
sources and requirements (small data/big data, open access/restricted access, etc).

> == Background
>
> The Semantic Web isn't just about putting data on the web. It is about making links,
so that a person or machine can explore the web of data. Moreover, the Web has quickly evolved
to a Read-Write paradigm, and Linked Data technologies too. And Marmotta will address this
challenge and offer a common infrastructure for organizations working in this area.

> Marmotta comes as a continuation of the work in the Linked Media Framework (aka LMF)
project. LMF is an easy-to-setup server application that bundles central Semantic Web technologies
to offer some advanced services. The Linked Media Framework consists of LMF Core which provides
a Read-Write Linked Data server, plus some modules that complement the server with other added
added capabilities, such as, SPARQL 1.1, LDPath, LDCache, Reasoning, Versioning, etc. Besides,
LMF also provides a Client Library, currently available in Java, PHP, and Javascript, as a
convenient API abstraction around the LMF web services. Currently LMF integrates with other
relevant tools (Apache Stanbol, Google Refine or Drupal) to cover a wider range of use cases
and needs.

> == Rationale
>
> Linked Data technologies are now at a turning point from mostly research projects to
industrial applications, and a lot of standardisation is currently in progress. Industrial
applications require a reliable and scalable infrastructure that follows and helps defining
a standard way of publishing and consuming Linked Data on the Web. The proposers have a strong
background in building such applications and have invested considerable effort in the last
years to building up an initial version of such a platform (the “Linked Media Framework”
or “LMF”). Starting from this solid base, we strongly believe that Apache is the right
environment to open the development of this project to a wider scope.

> Marmotta has the potential of being a reference implementation and Apache provides a
better environment for a collaborative development effort. With its well-established governance
model based on meritocracy and handling IP/legal issues, people from different organizations
can more easily contribute to the project. This will help unify the efforts of people implementing
the Linked Data Platform specification and other Semantic Web standards. In addition, it would
considerably help organizations in adopting Linked Data technologies and would provide a solid
base for further research activities in the community.

> == Initial Goals
>
> * Foster the use of Semantic Web Technologies in industry
>
> * Provide an open source and community-driven implementation of a Linked Data Platform
and related Semantic Web standards, LDP 1.0 Draft and SPARQL 1.1 mainly

> * Move the existing LMF source from the current Google Code page to the Apache infrastructure
>
> * Remove LMF extensions that are not relevant for a core Linked Data platform (e.g. semantic
search and content enhancement)

> * Define a plugable architeture for providing a data governance framework for enterprise
legacy sources

> * Revise the architecture, moving to a non-proprietary RDF API (Sesame or Jena) and deciding
whether to move to OSGi/Felix or stay with CDI/JavaEE as SOA framework

> * Identify and replace dependencies with a non-compatible license (e.g. replace XOM with
JDOM)

> == Current Status
>
> The source for the current LMF is a stable software artifact that, having emerged from
research circles, has already a relevant number of real world installations i.e. Red Bull
Media House, Salzburger Nachrichten, derStandard.at, etc.

> == Meritocracy
>
> LMF is the outcome of a number of research projects coordinated/participated by Salzburg
Research during the last five years. The original developers are still part of the core development
team, while at the same time many new committers have joined the team. Taking this step we
have made it clear to our community that going forward, the community, rather than a single
organization, will determine the future of Marmotta.

> Meritocracy is inherent in the research community we come from, and since Apache Marmotta
aims to be a unifying project for this community it is only natural to continue this approach.

> == Community
>
> Marmotta addresses two target communities: On the one hand, researchers/developers who
are working with Semantic Web technologies. On the other hand, companies or organizations
that require Semantic Web infrastructure. The initial committers are active participants in
both communities.

> == Core Developers
>
> Sebastian Schaffert (sebastian dot schaffert at salzburgresearch dot at)
> Thomas Kurz (thomas dot kurz at salzburgresearch dot at)
> Jakob Frank (jakob dot frank at salzburgresearch dot at)
> Dietmar Glachs (dietmar dot glachs at salzburgresearch dot at)
> Sergio Fernández (sergio dot fernandez at salzburgresearch dot at)
>
> == Alignment
>
> Marmotta complements and integrates well with the current landscape of Apache projects,
especially with the emerging “semantic technologies” cluster within the ASF. Concretely,
Marmotta will align with the following projects:

> * Apache Commons (lang, loggging, http and so on) is extensively used in many part of
the project

> * Apache Tomcat is currently the primary platform for deployment; with Marmotta, Tomcat
can be turned into a Linked Data server

> * Apache Stanbol will very likely adopt parts of the Marmotta infrastructure, particularly
for implementing the entity hub and for exposing the RDF data as Linked Data

> * Apache Jena could become the RDF API used throughout Marmotta; an architecural decision
is yet to be taken

> * Apache Any23 could be integrated in the LMF as wrapper around non-RDF data sources
to consume them as Linked Data; a similar approach has already been taken by the LMF

> * Apache Tika could be use for metada extraction of content
>
> * Apache Karaf and Apache Felix could become the OSGi container for running and configuring
the Marmotta components

> In addition to these more-or-less concrete proposals, there are some options that still
require some strategic decisions. For example, it make make sense to build a storage backend
based on Apache Hadoop for large-scale installations using HBase (e.g. jena grande, h2rdf,
hdrs, hadoop rdf). Several extensions also build on existing Apache projects, most importantly
the LMF Semantic Search component, which offers semantic search over Linked Data resources.

> == Known Risks
>
> Probably one of the major risks will not be able to engage the community for addressing
the new challenges. Knowing this, we will do our best to provide the greater facilities to
attract new developers and organizations. In particular, we will try to actively engage developers
from the Linked Data community through our networks.

> == Orphaned Products
>
> The current project is part of the business portfolio and a strategic project of the
contributor organization, and will continue in that way. So there is no risk of any of the
usual warning signs of orphaned or abandoned code.

> == Inexperience with Open Source
>
> The committers have large experience with open source development and communities. Several
of the key committers have been actively involved in Open Source projects for more than 10-15
years. The initial code base of Marmotta has already been developed as Open Source project
in the last 5 years.

> == Homogenous Developers
>
> Because we are aware about the initial list of committers is not the best for a long,
it exists a strong commitment to spread the project creating a much more diverse development
team. Part of the reason to enter the Apache incubation process is to open up the development
to more interested participants.

> == Reliance on Salaried Developers
>
> Right now most or all of that work is salaried, but the developers are identifying themselves
very much with the project. When opening up the development using Apache as a platform, we
expect that the future development will occur on both salaried and volunteer time, particularly
by participants from the Linked Data community.

> == Relationships with Other Apache Projects
>
> Although current RDF/SPARQL support in LMF is build on top of OpenRDF Sesame API, Marmotta
is closely related to many Apache projects, such as Stanbol, Jena and Any23. See “Alignment”
above.

> == An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
>
> While we expect the Apache brand may help attract more contributors, our interests in
starting this project is based on the factors mentioned in the Rationale section.

> == Documentation
>
> Documentation for the current project can be found at:
>
>    http://lmf.googlecode.com
>
>    http://doc.lmf.googlecode.com/hg/api/index.html
>
>    http://doc.lmf.googlecode.com/hg/rest/index.html
>
>    http://doc.lmf.googlecode.com/hg/client/index.html
>
> == Initial Source
>
> LMF (formerly KiWi) has been developed since 2008. It is important to say that the whole
LMF will not be contributed to Marmotta, actually only those parts that make up the "Linked
Data Platform" functionality (Linked Data Server, RDF Store, SPARQL, LDCache, Versioning,
Reasoner and LDPath) . The idea is to focus Marmotta much more in the core needs, keeping
all surrounding functionalities (Media-related modules and Semantic Search, basically) out
of the initial scope. Although the community will be who ultimately decides what are the relevant
modules. Since LMF is a very modular software artifact it will be pretty easy to make such
partitioning to kick-off Marmotta.

> The current source code can be found at Google Code: http://lmf.googlecode.com
>
> == Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan
>
> Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft mbH is the sole copyright owner of the initial
code to be contributed, so should not be any problem with the standard IP clearance process.
Current licence is already Apache Software License 2.0.

> == External Dependencies
>
> Most of current dependencies should have Apache compatible licenses, including BSD, CDDL,
CPL, MPL and MIT licensed dependencies. We are aware of some incompatible licenses right now,
but we will work to solve this issue. See Appendix A for a detailed list of dependencies.