incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What constitute a successful project?
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:21:26 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> Even by the PPMC's comments they obliquely acknowledge that there's not much
> activity and expressed an interested in simply keeping it around with the hopes
> that something would happen; there were no concrete ideas or plans on how to
> grow the community because, by their own admission, no one has the time to
> work much on the project.

That lack of concrete plans is a good place to start. Anyone from the
community who opposes retirement should take it up on themselves to
provide such a concrete plan for example in time for next month's
report. Just like the caster of a technical veto should come up with
an alternative implementation. :-)

As an example of how this can play out, see the way we asked Kitty to
provide such a plan [1] when some members of the community opposed the
idea of retirement. In Kitty nobody stood up to the task, so a few
months later the final decision to retire the project was a pretty
easy one to make.

Another example with a different outcome is JSPWiki that had a similar
discussion at the beginning of the year, and actually a few members of
the community did start working through all the issues and have now
produced their first Apache release and seem to be on a path towards
graduation even though the project is still far below its past
activity.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/smhl3cxvrgq5cf22

BR,

Jukka Zitting