incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Retirement decision making
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:32:24 GMT
The current vote thread for retirement of Chukwa, coupled with some of
the other discussion threads, raises some questions that need to be
resolved.

How do we make retirement decisions?

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html says:

"Before following the retirement steps, the remaining developers of
the project should be informed and vote should happen on the projects
dev list. After the vote, the IPMC must vote on the general list to
retire the project.

In some cases the developers of a project might be opposed to
retirement, while the IPMC is in favour because its members cannot see
a succesfull graduation now or in future. In this case the IPMC
_decides_ about the retirement."

In general, Apache projects strive to reach decisions by consensus,
using votes to memorialize consensus.

In the Chukwa case, there seems to have been a consensus some months
ago about how things would proceed. However, I don't think it's
reasonable to view that decision as a self-operating process in which
the community pre-decided exactly how and when the plug would be
pulled. Actually deciding to retire the project, over the objections
of even one of its contributors, is a decision point that the
community has to cope with -- however frustrating this may be for
mentors.

So, in hindsight, it would have been good to have a [DISCUSS] thread
in which the mentors could present their view, Eric could argue back,
and other people could pose questions of clarification. If people
really want to compare to Wink, someone could do the necessary
slogging to bring forth real comparative data for Wink.

But let's imagine that we have a DISCUSS thread and a clear lack of
consensus. In essence, that's what the current [VOTE] thread amounts
to. Now what? Do we say, 'well, in the absence of consensus, we must
continue the podling'? Do we say this even in the absence of enough
mentors willing to supervise it?

I stupidly posted an initial version of this question to private@, and
Ross replied with some very clear thinking on this, which I trust that
he will re-send to this thread. I'll stop here and wait for that.

--benson