incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release celix-0.0.1-incubating
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:15:12 GMT
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Alexander Broekhuis
<a.broekhuis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for looking into the release!
>

>> -1 (binding) based on the RAT check: my cursory run of RAT
>> (http://creadur.apache.org/rat/apache-rat/index.html) uncovered
>> 61 Unknown Licenses.
>>
>> Here's what I would like to suggest for cutting the new RC:
>>    1. make it easy to run the RAT check by integrating this somehow
>>     into your build system and/or provide a script that does that
>>

> Is RAT a requirement, and do all other projects use it? The release
> guideline on [1] doesn't mention RAT at all....

RAT is the tool that automates (somewhat) License Audit requirement:
    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-legal-audit

> Renaming a top level dir means a new release to me. We specifically decided
> to not do a RC. For us it is a release, as the release thread on the Celix
> list also points out, we all support this.
>
> I am all in favor of discussing these items on the Celix list (or maybe een
> here if more guides/rules are needed). At this moment I don't see this as a
> blocking issue for the release.

I haven't really seen many incubator projects that would always
get the release right 100% all the time. Hence the suggestion
of calling RCs out. As I said -- this is mainly to make it easier
for others to review your stuff. The easier you make it -- the more
ppl. are likely to help with the release process.

> Overall, as a new committer and the release manager of Celix, I find it
> really difficult to make a release that suits all personal opinions of the
> IPMC. The release guideline feels/is incomplete (eg RAT is missing). How am
> I suposed to make a release which is correct the first time?

You're not. That's what incubator and mentors are for -- to let you guys
know all the nooks and crannies. Given that -- if you see areas where
documentation can be clearer -- don't hesitate to propose ideas/patches.

Thanks,
Roman.