incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Retirement decision making
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:36:05 GMT

On Nov 28, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> ...I'm wondering if it makes sense to do away with the diversity and vibrant
>> dictum and merely state that at least one person is reasonably active and that
>> all the PMC members are trustworthy....
>
> I wouldn't want to graduate a project that doesn't seem to be able to
> grow a sustainable community. Demonstrating potential for that, even
> though the results might not be here yet at the time of graduation, is
> important for me as a mentor. It's quite subjective, but in case of
> doubt this PMC can certainly help make the right decisions.

Too subjective, IMO.  If we're really serious about this then would we not also need a process
to vacuum old projects?

Plus, in addition to being extremely subjective, and contentious, isn't sustainability and
diversity a transitory aspect?  Someone who's been working on a project for ten years now
has his project booted because some company decided to pull out developers?  That seems like
a no win situation for that person and for the company who may end up looking like the bad
guy.

Regards,
Alan