incubator-general mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: How to grow podling communities
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 06:44:35 GMT
I'm mostly just a lurker on this list, having thought about bringing a
project to Apache about 24 months ago[1], realizing we didn't quite have
the demand/community. Since then I've been lurking, wanting to see
when/whether it makes sense to attempt it again, reflecting on the state
of the project I'm working on.

 From where I'm sitting, I think the incubator actually should do much
more here. Big picture - bunch of developers with some cool code come to
possible the foremost organization for open source projects. They start
incubating, and discover that part of their incubation process is to
market themselves to grow their community, and yet not much help arrives
to do that. On top of that, (a) the developers likely have weak
marketing skills, (b) don't have a budget for marketing & travel, (c)
aren't given any tips from others more experienced about what kinds of
resources they should scare up and which efforts they should focus on first.

I see the incubator process ought to play three roles:

a) teaching the Apache rules/community/approach

b) teaching optimal open source project hygiene (which includes items
listed below, such as quick turn-around on patch reviews, decent
website, tutorials, public mailing list discussion) - and actually
include "grading" on the quality of those items before graduation.

c) assistance and reporting on "marketing". What the heck does this mean?

I think the incubator currently has parts (a) & (b) down. Not so much
for (c)

For example:

What does it mean to do "press"? What would you include in a press
release? Where would you send it?

Apache has so many projects, shouldn't it do a monthly "highlight on
_____" report, calling out a top level project, and a project being
incubated? Automatic publicity! Expect incubating projects to
participate in one of those "highlight" reports before graduating....

What community events should a team focus on? What have teams done in
the past? What has worked? What hasn't worked? Do we know why it worked
or didn't work? Is this information being recorded anywhere?

Encourage teams to shamelessly request "reference" users that they can
post to their websites. Solicit "endorsements" from "neutral" third parties.

I've seen ideas tossed around on the incubator list, but generally
nothing concrete, so it feels to me like the projects are left drifting
in the wind, trying to figure this stuff out for themselves.

That's silly, because Apache has such huge name recognition in the
software world, it should be *easy* to draw attention to incubating
projects. Except that at the moment, the best way to follow what's
incubating seems to be hopping on this general list, where you will see
when projects submit proposals, see them voted on, and see when they get
in trouble. That's a lot of noise for a small amount of signal.
Capturing that signal publicly might help bring visibility to the
projects to follow.

For example, why doesn't the incubator have a twitter feed where the
status of incubating projects gets reported? Something that everyone can
follow, and discover when new projects are proposed, when projects are
at risk, and when they think about graduating?

Recognizing that everyone here has limited resources, I don't think
what's needed here is much more than a little bit of capturing existing
known data on a wiki page or three, perhaps a twitter feed, and some
small amount of nudging by mentors. At least as a start!

Eric.

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/gXMLProposal

On 11/26/12 8:03 PM, Alan Cabrera wrote:
> I wonder if we can ask that incubation proposals include how they intend to get the message
out there.  What channels are relevant for the project?  I guess what are their marketing
plans.

> Eventually, we'd have a collection of old incubation proposals that new podlings could
use to garner ideas on how to market and grow their community.

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Nov 26, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Growing community is about "getting the message out there". There has to be someone
in the project who wants to do that. Some techniques are:

>> - press
>> - community events
>> - mentoring (that is mentoring of potential new committers)
>> - fast turnaround on patch reviews
>> - regular releases
>> - decent website
>> - tutorials
>> - screencasts
>> - public discussion (even with self while no community exists)
>>
>> Developing code for one's own use is all well can good but it does not build community
and trying to build community doesn't, in the short term, write code. It's a catch-22.

>> Personally I have no problem with a podling having low activity. A single developer
doing their thing in the incubator is not going to hurt anyone. What I'm concerned about is
a podling that is not doing any of the above community development activities or, even worse,
is ignoring potential contributors.

>> I don't think it is the responsibility of ComDev to do this, although one could argue
ComDev should be documenting these techniques in ways useful to mentors. I don't think it
is the job of mentors (or the IPMC) to do this either. It is entirely the PPMC responsibility.
In my opinion.