incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sergio Fernández <sergio.fernan...@salzburgresearch.at>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Linda
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 07:24:42 GMT
Hi,

On 19/11/12 06:53, dsh wrote:
> A few comments in regards to the proposal draft and "linked data"
> specifically:

extremely welcome ;-)

> * maybe consider calling out that you are striving towards implementing the
> Linked Data Platform 1.0 W3C draft (at least that's how I understand the
> proposal)

In fact in LMF we freely implemented our interpretation of Read-Write
Linked Data, which now fits pretty with upcoming LDP draft. Since this
is one of the main focus of the proposal, I'd try to state more clearly
such circumstance in the text.

> * will Linda (or whatever name you'll choose) cover data governance aspects
> too. right now to me it looks like the assumption is that data is already
> "normalized" where enterprise data usually isn't in real life. That's why
> you have ETL processes and data governance models. That actually
> contradicts one of Berners-Lee statements in the Ted talk. I wouldn't
> assume that enterprises won't open their data because they want to keep it
> secret I would rather assume that there's a huge leap step towards
> transforming legacy data into usable (whatever that means in practice)
> linked data. Maybe how to transform legacy data into open linked data is
> even research subject. So my question is: will Linda be focusing on such
> data governance aspects too (it looks like LMF covers that aspect at least
> a bit in a wiki article)?

The article you are referencing it's this, I guess:

https://code.google.com/p/lmf/wiki/GuidePublishingLinkedData

Although we don't explicitly cite it, the concept is always present in
our idea of Enterprise Linked Data. In fact, due our industrial
experience such data lifting is not so easy in many real scenarios as
it's in theory. Discuss that at the proposal is define telly a good idea.

Thanks so much!

Best,

--
Sergio Fernández