incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Marmotta
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:32:11 GMT
On 19/11/12 11:20, Sebastian Schaffert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we have had a brainstorming round and came up with the suggestion "Apache Marmotta" as
a new name. We looked a bit and the name seems not to be taken yet, so there would probably
no legal issues with the name.

> Why "Marmotta"? It is Italian for "marmot", one of the predominant animals in the mountains
around us. It also is very social (i.e. "links") and digs deep tunnels (looks for data). It
is more or less easy to pronounce (only contains a and o as vowels and no unpronouncible combinations).
The animal itself has typically a very positive association (cute) and would also provide
easy branding with images and logos.

> What do you think?

The helpful documentation is at:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html

> Greetings,
>
> Sebastian

For Marmot (English spelling, added by Google as I am in the UK) found:

http://www.lrz.de/services/software/parallel/marmot/

http://burlymarmot.com/ - a software company.

which is a different spelling so helps differentiate.

	Andy