incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sergio Fernández <sergio.fernan...@salzburgresearch.at>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Linda
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:54:04 GMT
Hi,

On 18/11/12 21:55, Ted Dunning wrote:
> That is because the phrase is only used as a proper noun for one thing.
> But it is used commonly as a descriptive phrase.

I agree about the technical terms, but in this case it's a name.

Even Google is not confused: http://www.google.com/search?q=linked+data

BTW, the same could apply to "Big Data"... but let's try to focus the
discussion, please.

> As such, I think that most mentions of "linked data" should include some
> such signal.  In a proposal aimed at people outside your community, in
> particular, you need something along the lines "the phrase linked data is
> used here idiosyncratically to refer to ...".  If you assume that the
> reader knows what kind of link you mean between what kind of data, then the
> documents you produce will tend to be impenetrable.  Assumptions like this
> are common within insular communities and commonly lead to
> misunderstandings like this.

Anyway I found this suggestion pretty interesting. So I'll try to
improve the abstract of the proposal including something in that
direction. Thanks.

Best,

--
Sergio Fernández