incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Committership of a podling
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:16:28 GMT
On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:25 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 22 November 2012 10:42, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
> wrote:
>> When a podling graduates, their unix group needs to created and
>> initialised with the committers of that podling.  Is it possible to
>> get
>> that set of availid's programmatically?
>>
>> Basically, do I have options other than "use the authz file group, if
>> such exists".
>
> The authz file may well be out of date - it may contain dormant users.
>
> The official list of members of a new TLP is presumably provided in
> the board resolution.
> I don't know how easy that is to scrape.

If someone wants to scrape a file, I'd suggest adding a script to
foundation/board/scripts which would take the date as a parameter and
then scrape ../board_minutes_date to find the new projects.

The result of scraping the file can include the apache ids of new PMC
chairs (for both graduating projects and change of chair) and the
names of the new projects and the apache ids of their PMC members. I
could really use the former (so I can grant karma to the new PMC
chairs).

The snag, of course, is that the PMC members != project committers,
although that is true in almost all cases. Historically, all podling
committers become PMC members, so the issue is moot in most cases.

If there is a difference between committers and PMC members of a
graduating podling, I don't think there is any process for identifying
which podling committers are to become new-project committers. It is
not in the board resolution. So it's up to the PMC to resolve.

I'd suggest having only the PMC members as initial committers and then
have the new PMC vote on adding podling committers to the new project
committer list. The vote could be a mass vote if no controversy...

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo