incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: What constitute a successful project?
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:54:35 GMT

On Nov 25, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Eric Yang wrote:

> Hi IPMC,
>
> For the past two years, Chukwa has been labelled as non-active project by
> mentors, and has been put on votes for retiring this project by mentor and
> IPMC.
> In this year's stats, Chukwa has more activities in comparison to Apache
> Wink in both mailing list traffic and resolved jiras.  Yet Chukwa has been
> voted to discontinue by mentors, but Wink is voted to graduate  by the same
> mentor. Here are the number of mails showed up in dev list between Apache
> Chukwa and Apache Wink:

Since I am the mentor that started the retirement vote on the podling I will explain my perspective.

What it comes down to is actual diverse activity.  For me, the overwhelming bulk of the work
for Chukwa was being done by one person.  While looking at the raw numbers the two projects
seem similar, if you scrub the threads where we discuss whether or not to retire Chukwa and
also look at who's doing the actual work, it seems to me that the two projects are not exactly
the same.

Regards,
Alan