incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Linda
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:30:33 GMT
I suggest choosing a different name.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_%28coordination_language%29

We generally don't use names that have been (and continue to be)
used extensively by other software projects.

....Roy

On Nov 16, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Sebastian Schaffert wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> we would like to propose a new project called Apache Linda as a Linked Data Platform
implementation to the incubator. Andy Seaborne was so kind as to volunteer as a champion for
the project. The proposal is available at

> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/LindaProposal
>
> The goal of Apache Linda is to provide an open implementation of a Linked Data Platform
that can be used, extended, and deployed easily by organizations who want to publish Linked
Data or build custom applications on Linked Data. Linda will follow the core recommendations
of the W3C on RDF, SPARQL and Linked Data publishing, particularly the emerging Linked Data
Platform (LDP) recommendation. It will also offer extensions for frequently needed additional
functionalities like Linked Data Querying, WebID, WebACL, Reasoning, and Versioning. Linda
aims to cover both, Linked Open Data, as well as Enterprise Linked Data scenarios, providing
facilities to deal with different data sources and requirements (small data/big data, open
access/restricted access, etc).