incubator-general mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Shipping binary file in CloudStack release
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:17:35 GMT
On 29 October 2012 15:13, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> I'll try to be more clear next time.  I'm holding the vote open
> specifically because of this outstanding question, *regardless* of the
> current tally.  That's what I was expressing.

Understood. I suspected we were on the same page, but I wanted to make sure.

> No disagreement.  Again, that's why I'm holding the vote open until we
> get enough clarity on the topic being discussed here.

Yep, and thank you. Especially considering the considerable delay in me
being able to find time to test.

> IMO, fixing this in the policy would include a statement about the RM
> having the right (but not the obligation) to abort the vote based on
> any individual issue raised by a voter.  But perhaps this is a topic
> for another list...
>
> Using this thread a specific example, I'll abort if the advice here is
> that waf needs to be removed in it's current form.

This may be an area for project bylaws.

On CouchDB, as the release manager, I added this to our release process:

"The release manager has the power to abort a vote at any point and for any
reason."

I advise we do the same for CloudStack.

Basically, as RM, as long as you're operating within the Apache framework
and principals, and there is a documented release policy that the community
(even tacitly) agrees with, then you are empowered to do whatever you want
within the limits of that.

--
NS