incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Content-Encoding, License for .graffle file, Was: Fwd: [VOTE] Release celix-0.0.1-incubating
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:29:55 GMT
On 30 October 2012 20:18, Florian Holeczek <florian@holeczek.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> taking this out of the Celix vote thread in order to keep it tidy.
>
> Sebb wrote:
>> The file documents/Celix.graffle does not have a license.
>
> In JSPWiki, we have a .graffle file, too. Although this is XML, I consider this a binary
file, just like a JPEG image for example. It's the document format of Graffle, a graphics
software for Mac OS X.

>> I agree that the download problem is not a blocker for the release. Until it is fixed,
I suggest adding a note to any vote e-mails to warn reviewers about the problen.
>> Using wget, I was able to download the archive, sig and hashes.
>
> The problem underneath is: When the browser tells "Accept-Encoding gzip" in its HTTP
request header, it can be that a .gz download gets gzipped again. Although the server correctly
and save it double gzipped to disk. So you end up with a file .tar.gz which in fact is a .tar.gz.gz
format. Gunzipping this manually leads to the correct data.

> So,
> * there isn't any real data corruption and
> * it seems to be at least not only the server part which is to blame here

www.apache.org does not gzip-encode the response even if requested,
which is why the browsers work OK there.
However, I suppose some mirrors might behave differently.

The problem is that many browsers and other clients don't handle
"Content-Encoding gzip" correctly.
The curl program has a --compress option which requests gzip and
handles the response, but even that fails to handle CE: gzip if
requested using -H "Accept-Encoding: gzip". Oops!