incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shipping binary file in CloudStack release
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:57:44 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:26 AM, Florian Holeczek <florian@holeczek.de> wrote:
> Hi Noah,
>
>> We're just voting on our first release, and I spotted this file in the root
>> of the source:
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=blob_plain;f=waf;hb=HEAD
>>
>> It seems to be a sort of hybrid source/binary file. Very strange.
>>
>> Can we ship this?
>
> it's this one: http://code.google.com/p/waf/
> The website says it's licensed under the "New BSD License".

This file is a an installer for an entire subsystem of python stuff,
encoded with python pickle, built by their build script. If I
understand what's going on, running it unpacks a tree of python
*source*. So, it's no more good (or bad) than shipping a .tar.bz2 of
some category A open source code (given the license).

It would be more better, I suppose, to grab the corresponding source
tree and run their build script as part of your build script, but I'm
a bit puzzled as to whether this, as is, is actually a problem.