incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <>
Subject Re: jspwiki
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2012 23:20:19 GMT
On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Ross Gardler <> wrote:
> Sent from my tablet
> On Oct 7, 2012 10:08 PM, "Benson Margulies" <> wrote:
>> So, I voted for the release without making a detailed IP check (just
>> signatures, buildability, etc) based on the state in the clutch.
> That's pretty worrying. A vote for a release is a verification that it is a
> legally defensible release. No-one should get voting without doing a full
> review.

Ross, please clarify your view. If you think that every voter on every
release at Apache is checking every single file for a correct header,
then I think that there's a significant gap between theory and
practice. If you are focussed in incubator issues, read on.

In fact, it *is* a legally defensible release, unless the clutch is
lying about IP clearance. Some missing or malformed headers do not
make it legally defective, just not up to our usual standards. I did
check the critical characteristics that make up a legally defensible

What I want to know about this is whether
is lying to me when it claims that this project has released before.

I also think that we might have an incubator-specific issue here. When
I participate in the PMC of running project, I depend on the PMC to
verify headers and such either (a) at checkin, or (b) with rat. I do
not think it's a great idea to leave that for release voting. However,
I shouldn't be depending on podling members to know enough to do this,
and apparently I can't depend on mentors. So perhaps the IPMC needs to
take a more mandatory view of RAT.