incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Jr. Mentor role
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:01:18 GMT
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
> However, see my 'how would it help to clear 3 +1 IPMC votes hurdle' question
> on this thread'?

If you help to audit the IP of the podling and to instill good habits and
values, it will make it considerably easier for the formal Mentors or other
IPMC members to add their +1.

The first AOO release got my freelance IPMC vote because it was clear that
they knew what they were doing and were taking their role as IP stewards
seriously.  It would have been absurd for me to attempt review of even a tiny
fraction of that codebase -- and in the long run, it is much more important
that the community members own the task of IP management themselves than that
they pass any sort of superficial documentation review.

PS: People who help out with this demanding and time-consuming work accumulate
    the sort of merit that lands them on the IPMC and in the ASF membership.

Marvin Humphrey