incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Shipping binary file in CloudStack release
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:41:19 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, it's no more good (or bad) than shipping a .tar.bz2 of
> some category A open source code (given the license).

+1

>From your description, this is different from a compiled object file, it's
compressed source.  No information is lost, it's just obfuscated and can be
restored.  It's a little annoying as would be releasing source transformed via
rot-13, but it's still source IMO.

> It would be more better, I suppose, to grab the corresponding source
> tree and run their build script as part of your build script, but I'm
> a bit puzzled as to whether this, as is, is actually a problem.

Doesn't seem like a blocker to me, so long as people have expanded the archive
and are happy with what's inside.

Marvin Humphrey