incubator-general mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Shipping binary file in CloudStack release
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:20:12 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Marvin Humphrey
<marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So, it's no more good (or bad) than shipping a .tar.bz2 of
>> some category A open source code (given the license).
>
> +1
>
> From your description, this is different from a compiled object file, it's
> compressed source.  No information is lost, it's just obfuscated and can be
> restored.  It's a little annoying as would be releasing source transformed via
> rot-13, but it's still source IMO.
>
>> It would be more better, I suppose, to grab the corresponding source
>> tree and run their build script as part of your build script, but I'm
>> a bit puzzled as to whether this, as is, is actually a problem.
>
> Doesn't seem like a blocker to me, so long as people have expanded the archive
> and are happy with what's inside.

Thanks all.

I've just expanded the archive, and reviewed the contents.  It indeed
appears to be the source code for version 1.5.18 of waf.  I can't find
any issues with including this source code (excluding the obvious
weirdness about how it's included in our release package).

Any other concerns?