incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: JSPWiki status (Was: jspwiki)
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2012 15:19:06 GMT
Hi Jukka,

On Oct 13, 2012, at 7:49 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Jukka Zitting
> <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> JSPWiki has been troubled for quite some time.
>
> Following up on this and since JSPWiki is by far our oldest podling, I
> felt it appropriate to summarize its status and outlook from the IPMC
> perspective in this months board report. Here's my summary:
>
>  JSPWiki is our oldest podling with over five years in the Incubator.
>  Activity in JSPWiki was very low for a few years and they've yet to
>  create their first Apache release. Earlier this year they discussed
>  leaving the Incubator and the ASF since they clearly weren't making
>  much progress. That discussion led to some revival of activity and
>  the decision to continue in the Incubator. Unfortunately the podling
>  no longer has enough active mentors, which has led to some trouble
>  with premature attempts at cutting releases or graduating. Despite
>  these troubles the podling is making progress, and with sufficient
>  help from the IPMC they might well become ready to graduate within
>  a few quarters.
>
> JSPWiki committers/mentors, does this sound like an accurate summary?

Sounds fair enough. I'm still actively mentoring the project but could
it use some more mentors.

The project is in the middle of cutting their first release, and we
all know that the first time is the hardest.

The biggest issue regarding the release was the decision to *not*
release the 3.0 code base that had been the focus of previous efforts.

If everyone stays focused, I believe that the project can graduate
within a few months after release.

Craig

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting