incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shipping binary file in CloudStack release
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:09:03 GMT
Le 10/29/12 3:39 PM, Noah Slater a écrit :
> Thanks for following up Chip. Though I do just want to clarify one
> misconception.
>
> On 29 October 2012 13:21, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
>
>> I actually have more than enough votes right now to close the thread
>> out on the project's dev list, and open up a vote for the IPMC.
>
> No you don't.
>
> To me, this sounds like you're saying "to be honest, I could just close the
> vote and ship this right now if I wanted to." I'm not sure if that was the
> intended message. But regardless, you couldn't. A single -1 vote would be
> enough to block the release.

> Binding or not binding. It doesn't matter. If
> somebody expresses a real, and justified, concern about the artefact, then
> you don't release until you've addressed that concern.
Technically speaking, for releases, a -1 is not a veto :

" Votes on Package Releases

Votes on whether a package is ready to be released use majority approval
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval> --
i.e. at least three PMC members must vote affirmatively for release, and
there must be more positive than negative votes. *Releases may not be
vetoed.* Generally the community will cancel the release vote if anyone
identifies serious problems, but in most cases the ultimate decision,
lies with the individual serving as release manager. The specifics of
the process may vary from project to project, but the 'minimum quorum of
three +1 votes' rule is universal."

However, having -1 would be a sign that something goes wrong. Either on
the community side, or on the voter side ;) Better try to see why a -1
(or many) have been casted before going for the release in such a case.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,