incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Recommend to the Board to establish the Apache OpenOffice Project
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2012 15:13:13 GMT
On 10/10/2012 3:00 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Seeing no objections to my last message, and keeping into account that
> this list had been regularly informed about the steps Apache OpenOffice
> was taking towards graduation, I'm hereby asking the IPMC to recommend
> the following resolution to the Board. Aim of the resolution is to
> establish the Apache OpenOffice Project as a Top Level Project.
>
> Please cast your vote:
>
> [ ] +1, recommend the resolution to the Board
> [ ] +0, abstain/don't care
> [ ] -1, do not recommend the resolution to the Board, because...

+1, (binding) IPMC & mentor.

> This vote will be open for 72 hours from now; only votes from the
> Incubator PMC are binding.

If this were happening even a month ago, I would have commented earlier
on the 72 hour period.  72 hours is a *minimum* period for [VOTE]
threads; allowing a longer period for major decisions is often helpful,
especially when you see there are fairly few comments here on general@.

But the AOO community has come a looong way in the past few months, and
it's clear on the AOO lists that the community and proposed PMC members
have been making excellent progress both on the code and especially on
improving positive community engagement and informed consensus driven
work and decisions.

Bertrand has a point that there is only a single ASF Member on the PMC
list - normally this wouldn't be a significant issue, but given the
scope and impact of the AOO project, it would indeed be good to ensure
that we have more well-versed Members or long-term committers from other
projects keeping abreast of AOO to help out.

Besides the new amount of freely downloadable software for the public
good that the AOO project provides, we should not underestimate the
positive impacts that the next few major releases of Apache OpenOffice
will have on both the office suite world and on awareness of the Apache
brand.

- Shane