incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: RAT issues [was: Re: [VOTE] JSPWiki version 2.9.0-incubating]
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 04:50:15 GMT

On Oct 8, 2012, at 3:59 PM, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We've added support to generate RAT files (RAT report for RC3
> available at
> [#1]) and began to play with it, via rat-ant-tasks [#2]. As noted in
> previous e-mails, all the JSP files lack of a proper header. So, a
> couple
> of questions:
>
> - we pass the addLicenseHeaders argument to the report task. A lot
> of .new
> files get generated with the appropiate header, but none of them
> correspond
> to JSPs files. On the other hand the RAT report detects the missing
> header
> in the JSP files. Is there any way to enforce the process for JSP
> files?

I'm not clear what you are saying here. If the rat addLicenseHeaders
does not create .jsp files with the appropriate header, you may need
to manually edit the .jsp files.

> - we also have some .js files which come with their license header
> (i.e.:
> mootools.js). RAT detects them as their header doesn't conform with AL
> Header. In this case I assume we should ignore this files, is that ok?

If you review all of the files that have their own license header, you
can then notate them. What rat does is report non-conforming files of
all types.

Any files that are licensed under a non-Apache license need to be
called out in the NOTICE and/or LICENSE files. There are many examples
of such files in other projects. If you give specific file names, I
can help you with what needs to be done to include them.

Craig

> We've also made java files conform strictly with AL header, so the
> headers
> issue should be solved once we get rid of the two points noted above.
>

> thx in advance,
> juan pablo
>
> [#1]: http://people.apache.org/~juanpablo/rat_2.9.0_rc3.txt
> [#2]: http://creadur.apache.org/rat/apache-rat-tasks/report.html
>
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Craig L Russell
> <craig.russell@oracle.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> Thanks for the review of the release.
>>

>> On Oct 7, 2012, at 12:30 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i'm sorry to -1 your release :-(
>>>
>>> Please see:
>>> http://www.apache.org/legal/**src-headers.html#headers<http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

>> This is a very important document to read and understand. The jspwiki
>> headers are non-standard and should be rewritten to conform. In
>> particular,
>> there should be no extraneous verbiage before the "Licensed to..."
>> text. No
>> copyright, no other information.
>>

>>> I have found a lot of code like in the the src package
>>> /src/webdocs/Captcha.jsp
>>> which are missing header licenses. I saw it is in the .java files,
>>> but
>>> they should be basically in every file we release (including jsp)
>>>

>> I agree, .jsp files need the Apache license header just as .java
>> files do.
>>

>>> Also export.sh misses headers.
>>>
>>> In the headers of the .java files is: JSPWiki - a JSP-based WikiWiki
>>> clone.
>>> Not sure if this is a blocker, but you should use the full name
>>> "Apache JSPWiki" instead of only "JSPWiki". Personally I would get
>>> rid
>>> of this line actually, but i think it is up to you.
>>>

>> Getting rid of the line is probably the easiest way to conform.
>>

>>> Example:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/**asf/incubator/jspwiki/tags/**
>>> jspwiki_2_9_0_incubating_rc3/**src/org/apache/catalina/util/**
>>> HexUtils.java<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jspwiki/tags/jspwiki_2_9_0_incubating_rc3/src/org/apache/catalina/util/HexUtils.java