incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: key signing
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:07:56 GMT
@Benson

There are two things that can be done, with (2) being what
matters to you, it seems to me:

 1. The committer can upload the fingerprint-associated public key
    to the PGP Global Directory at <http://keyserver.pgp.com/>.

    That will initiate an e-mail verification for every e-mail
    in the pubkey record (cert for short).  The procedure and its
    risks are described in the Key Verification Policy,
    <http://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/VKDVerificationPGPCom.html>.

    The key will not be published on that server until the e-mail
    verification occurs.  It will there be countersigned by the PGP
    Global Directory Verification Key.  Note that there is a
    revocation procedure and revocation (i.e., removal from that
    directory) will happen if one of the periodic e-mail
    confirmations fails.

    Here's an example of how those counter-signings show up:
    <http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&fingerprint=on&search=0xD80D0C3FA39327EC>

    The e-mail verification is vulnerable (as described in the Key
    Verification Policy) in much the same way that Apache credentials
    and Account records are vulnerable with respect to the use of
    e-mail association as authentication.

 2. In conjunction with checking for the key at (1), or independently,
    the advice from the PGP folk is that an independent means of
    identity agreement should be employed.  So long as you have a
    way of doing that, and the other party can confirms that is the
    public key for which they possess the secret key, it seems
    appropriate to countersign the public key.

    Technically, this should not rely on the e-mail address. Use a
    different channel whereby the committer confirms identity,
    including having or knowing something that satisfies you.
    Since you can be confident about your own public key, have
    the party send you an encrypted message that satisfies you
    concerning the identity of the originator.  That message plaintext
    could also be signed by the party, demonstrating their possession
    of the private key for the pubkey in question.

The odd thing about the WoT is that it depends on how much *you*
are considered dependable in verifying the cert creator's identity.
Each inspector of the committer certificate determines
their own trust of the counter-signing signatures (whether by
WoT transitivity rules or their own personal knowledge/trust).

 -- Dennis

Since I dropped in on this thread, I went through the key registration
process for a unique key that only has orcmid@ a.o as the associated
e-mail.  The public key was put wherever the Gnu Privacy Assistant puts
them.  I uploaded the public key to the MIT PGP key server myself.
I also went through the PGP Global Directory verification procedure.
I put the fingerprint in my Apache Account record and a version of the
cert magically appeared at
<https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/orcmid.asc>.  (I'm not sure
where this is fetched from, so I'm not sure how counter-signed versions
show up.)
  I am continuing to experiment.