incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: key signing - issues
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2012 18:30:34 GMT
Following up on Benson's statement, I want to confirm my understanding of how the "LDAP key"
connection works:

1. I generate an OpenPGP key pair for myself.  I use orcmid@ a.o as an e-mail address associated
with the PGP cert.  I put the public key in an appropriate public place where it can be found
by the fingerprint, my name, orcmid@ a.o, etc.  (Does it matter which established public place
is used for this part?)

2. I go to the Apache Account Utility, <http://id.apache.org> and log on with my Apache
credentials for Apache User Name/ID orcmid.

3. I add the OpenPGP Public Key Primary fingerprint in the appropriate field of the account
details.

4. Somewhere there is a way that anyone who sees a signature with the private key (1) can
confirm that public key cert carrying that fingerprint is the one in (3).

I have to say "somewhere" because the link on the ASF Committers by ID page, <https://people.apache.org/keys/group/svn-committers.asc>
is a 404. A little URL fiddling reveals that the correct link is
<https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/>.  When I complete the ceremony (3), I assume
orcmid.asc will appear in that directory by virtue of my having completed (1) successfully.

So, the level of trust, in this case, is via the fact that I used the Apache credentials to
record the details of a key pair for which I am expected to have the exclusive possession
of the private key.  And my possession of the Apache credentials for ID orcmid establishes
the connection between the PGP key, orcmid, and the person who provided the iCLA for which
ID orcmid was subsequently granted.

A repudiation, along with the public ways of doing that, is by removing the fingerprint from
my Apache Account record, yes?  I might want to leave an expired-but-not-repudidated fingerprint
there, since it is needed to check old signatures?  (The Account page appears to limit me
to two such keys, but that may just because there are no entries just yet.)

If I understand this correctly, I have to agree with Benson that it can't be any better than
this.

The fundamental link is the association that is established by my being responsible for the
secrecy of the private key and my Apache "persona" being tied to the possessor of that Apache
account, how that account was approved, how the credentials were delivered for it to the provider
of the iCLA, and the exclusive control of the setting of the fingerprint in the account record.

It appears that key-signing ceremonies add nothing to this.  My public appearance might reveal
that orcmid is an imposter or that the iCLA is fraudulent or something, but that applies to
the chain of committer establishment trust, not whether I can convince folks to sign my public-key
cert.

I agree that all of this needs to be documented in an understandable way, and that members
of the public need to know how to verify and authenticate signatures created with these private
keys.

 - Dennis