incubator-general mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Airavata from the incubator
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:16:43 GMT

On Sep 10, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>> We request the IPMC to vote on the resolution to establish Airavata and to recommend
the resolution to the board.

>  [x] +1 Graduate Airavata podling from Apache Incubator
>
>>       WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>>       interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>>       Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>>       Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>>       open-source software related to executing and managing
>>       computational jobs on distributed computing resources
>>       including local clusters, supercomputers, national grids,
>>       academic and commercial clouds and for distribution at no charge
>>       to the public.
>
> FWIW, I'd simplify the scope to just: "[...] open-source software
> related to executing and managing computational jobs on distributed
> computing resources for distribution at no charge to the public." The
> list of target environments only adds verbosity to the scope,
> especially since the list is not exclusive.

Hi Jukka,

Thanks for the feedback. We had a discussion on this scope statement. I myself had two minds,
distributed computing is too broad and does not illustrate the project's focus, but adding
examples made it too verbose. Unless you feel strongly it, I would prefer to leave it as is,
it is broad enough for future increase in scope of project, at the same time it illustrates
current focus. But if you and others are bothered with the length (which BTW I agree is certainly
more verbose than needed), I can resurrect the discussion in dev list and choose the shorter
version you suggested.

Thanks,
Suresh