incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Kalumet status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "September2012" by jbonofre)
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:30:36 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the report, Kalumet!

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org> wrote:
> + Most of users are waiting for a first release to jump into Kalumet.
> [...]
> +   - The documentation is the highest priority.
> +   - Once a first documentation is completed, we plan to cut off a couple of Kalumet
releases.

In a situation like that, I'd recommend making the release the highest
priority instead of waiting for more documentation. You can always cut
new releases with more and better documentation, while regaining lost
users is much more difficult.

Kalumet has already been incubating for a year, which should be plenty
of time to prepare a first release. Is there anything beyond the
desire to write more documentation that's blocking the release?

> + Before Graduation:

The mentioned pre-graduation issues don't include community activity
or diversity. Do you think Kalumet is good on these fronts, or is
there still some community growth/development that needs to happen?

Looking at the mailing list archives and commit logs over the past few
months I see mostly just Jean-Baptiste and Olivier committing stuff
without much in terms of dev@ discussions or other community
interaction. Only one of the nine initial committers has made chances
to the codebase since incubation started, and no new committers have
been invited.

Based on experience from previous podlings this seems a bit alarming.
I believe it would be good idea for the community to focus a bit more
on engaging with potential new (and past) contributors.

> + Post Graduation:

I'm not sure if intended, but the mentioned post-graduation plans
sound as if you're considering graduation more as a technical than a
primarily community/policy milestone. For comparison see the
graduation criteria outlined in [1].

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator

BR,

Jukka Zitting