incubator-general mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Airavata from the incubator
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:08:52 GMT
+ 1

Suresh

On Sep 11, 2012, at 2:43 AM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:

> +1 (Airavata Mentor)
>
> Ate
>
> On 09/08/2012 03:23 PM, Suresh Marru wrote:
>> On Sep 7, 2012, at 12:11 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov>
wrote:

>>> +1 from me! (binding)
>>>
>>> Great work guys! During the discussion I requested to be included on the PMC
>>> and there was also talk of Ross being there though.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Sorry for missing Chris's name in the resolution, we had couple of resolution drafts
in parallel and bad miss on my part in merging them. Chris's willing and rest of PMC's approval
is recorded in discussion and associated JIRA.

>> Please vote on the resolution, everything else is the same with addition of Chris
Mattmann to the initial PMC. Will leave the vote open 72 hours from now. Just for clarity
I am copying the vote the full resolution again:

> [...]
>>        open-source software related to executing and managing
>>        computational jobs on distributed computing resources
>>        including local clusters, supercomputers, national grids,
>>        academic and commercial clouds and for distribution at no charge
>>        to the public.
>>
>>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>>        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Airavata Project",
>>        be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>>        Foundation; and be it further
>>
>>        RESOLVED, that the Apache Airavata Project be and hereby is
>>        responsible for the creation and maintenance of  software
>>        related to executing and managing computational jobs on
>>        distributed computing resources including local clusters,
>>        supercomputers, national grids, academic and commercial clouds;
>>        and be it further
>>
>>        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Airavata" be
>>        and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
>>        serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
>>        of the Apache Airavata Project, and to have primary responsibility
>>        for management of the projects within the scope of
>>        responsibility of the Apache Airavata Project; and be it further
>>
>>        RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>>        hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>>        Apache Airavata Project:
>>
>>        Aleksander Slominski      <aslom@apache.org>
>>        Ate Douma                 <ate@apache.org>
>>        Chathura Herath           <chathura@apache.org>
>>        Chris Mattmann            <mattmann@apache.org>
>>        Eran Chinthaka            <chinthaka@apache.org>
>>        Srinath Perera            <hemapani@apache.org>
>>        Heshan Suriyaarachchi     <heshan@apache.org>
>>        Lahiru Gunathilake        <lahiru@apache.org>
>>        Marlon Pierce             <mpierce@apache.org>
>>        Patanachai Tangchaisin    <patanachai@apache.org>
>>        Raminderjeet Singh        <raminder@apache.org>
>>        Saminda Wijeratne         <saminda@apache.org>
>>        Shahani Weerawarana       <shahani@apache.org>
>>        Suresh Marru              <smarru@apache.org>
>>        Thilina Gunarathne        <thilina@apache.org>
>>
>>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Suresh Marru
>>        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Airavata, to
>>        serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>>        Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>>        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>>        or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>>
>>        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Airavata PMC be and hereby is
>>        tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>>        encourage open development and increased participation in the
>>        Apache Airavata Project; and be it further
>>
>>        RESOLVED, that the Apache Airavata Project be and hereby
>>        is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>>        Incubator Airavata podling; and be it further
>>
>>        RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>>        Incubator Airavata podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

and has been steadily growing. The project has made 3 releases, added 6 new committers and
PPMC members. The podling has been very actively using mailing list and JIRA and all communication
is in open. Thanks to very hands-on mentors, the project has learned to self-govern and has
been following the Apache Way.

Airavata as a name for TLP [2]. The community has discussed graduation and prepared a board
charter [3]. The initial PMC has been opted in on the private mailing list and PMC chair has
been elected on the dev list [4]. The community feels ready to graduate [5] and voted 19 positives
votes and no negative votes.

recommend the resolution to the board.