incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Kalumet status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "September2012" by jbonofre)
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 05:16:01 GMT
Hi Juka,

My comments inline:

On 09/12/2012 12:30 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the report, Kalumet!
>
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org> wrote:
>> + Most of users are waiting for a first release to jump into Kalumet.
>> [...]
>> +   - The documentation is the highest priority.
>> +   - Once a first documentation is completed, we plan to cut off a couple of Kalumet
releases.

> In a situation like that, I'd recommend making the release the highest
> priority instead of waiting for more documentation. You can always cut
> new releases with more and better documentation, while regaining lost
> users is much more difficult.
>
> Kalumet has already been incubating for a year, which should be plenty
> of time to prepare a first release. Is there anything beyond the
> desire to write more documentation that's blocking the release?

We considered documentation as a high priority because the Kalumet
console especially contains a lot of features and requires some explanation.
However, we can cut off a first release and continue to work on the
documentation. The documentation can be included in a next release.
I will discuss with the team on the dev mailing list.

>> + Before Graduation:
>
> The mentioned pre-graduation issues don't include community activity
> or diversity. Do you think Kalumet is good on these fronts, or is
> there still some community growth/development that needs to happen?
>
> Looking at the mailing list archives and commit logs over the past few
> months I see mostly just Jean-Baptiste and Olivier committing stuff
> without much in terms of dev@ discussions or other community
> interaction. Only one of the nine initial committers has made chances
> to the codebase since incubation started, and no new committers have
> been invited.
>
> Based on experience from previous podlings this seems a bit alarming.
> I believe it would be good idea for the community to focus a bit more
> on engaging with potential new (and past) contributors.

Agree, we have to grow the community, both in terms of developers and
users. A first release and ApacheCon talk should help.
We are going to work on this.

>> + Post Graduation:
>
> I'm not sure if intended, but the mentioned post-graduation plans
> sound as if you're considering graduation more as a technical than a
> primarily community/policy milestone. For comparison see the
> graduation criteria outlined in [1].
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator

Thanks for the reminder, we are fully inline.

Regards
JB

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting